I don't wear my Wedding Ring, What's the big deal?

Wednesday, February 8, 2012





 For many, wedding rings symbolize the importance of your commitment and union. However true, I do not wear my ring; I hate feeling obligated to the standards a ring symbolizes by wearing mine. Society has made us feel by wearing something permanent and expensive on your left ring finger, is our commitment to our spouse publicly. Since I don’t wear my wedding ring, does that mean my love and commitment is not equivalent to those that wear their rings? Not true. When Mitch and I married 5 years ago I would wear my ring all the time. The only reason I wore it, though was because I felt forced to wear it by the pressure of society, NOT because I wanted to. To be honest, I really don’t like anything on my finger for a long period of time, it drives me CRAZY. I hate the stigma of not wearing my ring- as if it means I’m cheating or want to look single. I look at this way, a person will be faithful or not with or without a ring on a finger.

I have been asked dozens of times if I’ll get upset if Mitch doesn’t wear his ring. My answer remains the same: No, I will not be offended or feel disrespected if he doesn’t wear his ring. Mitch doesn’t wear his ring at work; he sometimes wears it outside of work. I know sometimes he’d like for me to wear mine, like on date nights, but I honestly forget to put it on. 

Questions for thought: what theories have you heard on wearing (or not wearing) wedding rings? Do you wear your wedding ring regularly?

 I think that since our anniversary is slowly approaching we should get matching tattoos on our wedding finger- what do you all think of that idea?












2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I blogged about this a few months ago. I do wear my ring, and so does my husband. You are right, wedding rings are just another example of what society has reared us to think is "the right thing to do". And when you go against society, it's a problem... for others.

For me, I don't like the implications that go along with not wearing the ring. I don't want people assuming that me or my husband are single. When the ring is present, it speaks for itself.

Sure, cheating can certainly happen even if a ring is worn. But I just prefer for it to be there (on my finger, and my husband's finger) so that there are no questions, confusion or miscommunication.

With all that said, each couple is free to do as they please. As long as husband and wife are on the same page about wearing/not wearing their rings, I see no problem with whatever they choose to do.

Oh, you can check out my post here >> http://knotchocolate.blogspot.com/2011/03/do-you-care-if-he-wears-his-wedding.html

The Deborahs Blog said...

Hey! I was pleasantly surprised the moment I loaded this page of your domain. What was the biggest goal the moment when you received an idea to make a website?

Post a Comment